In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

South Portland Historical Society

Ocean Street, Knightville, Cape Elizabeth, 1890

Contributed by South Portland Historical Society
MMN Item 15752 Item Details
Ocean Street, Knightville, Cape Elizabeth, 1890
MMN Item 15752 Zoom

Description

Unlike today's Ocean Street business district, 1890 Ocean Street was a tree shaded residential neighborhood. Five years later Ocean Street became a part of the new town of South Portland when the Maine State Legislature, on March 15, 1895, approved the division of the town of Cape Elizabeth. The northern section became South Portland and the southern section remained Cape Elizabeth. In the photo two horse-drawn vehicles travel along the dirt street that lead to the Portland Bridge. The original bridge was constructed in 1822 and was a toll bridge until 1851. Rebuilt over the years, it was replaced by the "Million Dollar Bridge" in 1916. Portland, across the harbor, can be seen in the background.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.