The South Portland Historical Society was established in 1964. Originally known as the Cape Historical Society, and later the South Portland/Cape Elizabeth Historical Society, the organization changed its name to the South Portland Historical Society in 2003 to clarify its role as the historical society of the City of South Portland.
Throughout most of its history, the historical society was housed in various city properties, including the former Reynolds School, the former E Street School, the former Sawyer School Annex building and, up until the year 2009, a basement office in City Hall. In 2009, Portland Pipe Line Corporation donated the historic Cushing's Point House building on Madison Street and the Society had the building moved to a new location within Bug Light Park, on land provided by the City of South Portland.
Selected South Portland Historical Society images:
- As You Like It Club, South Portland, ca. 1910
- Ocean Street, Knightville, Cape Elizabeth, 1890
- Portland Soldiers and Sailors Monument Association stock certificate
- Monument dedication invitation, South Portland, 1897
- Frank C. Nutter invoice, South Portland, 1896
- John W. Cameron, Portland Head Light Keeper
- Hattie E. Cameron, Cape Elizabeth, ca. 1900
- Pledge to Cape Elizabeth Soldiers and Sailors Monument Association
- Portland and South Portland, 1923